“Hypnotherapy – a state of focused consciousness can be the answer to the various issues that you face on a daily basis or it may be the key to eliminating that one fear that is stopping you from reaching your goals”.
Hypnotherapy – a completely natural state is a therapeutic tool which is around us in use for thousands of years as a healing, self-help and self-improvement modality. For thousands of years, philosophers and wise men have known that our thoughts can control our body and behaviour.
Hypnosis is not mind control. Rather, the client gains control over a part of his or her life that may have been previously out of control. All hypnosis is really self-hypnosis and no one can force you.
Many people are afraid of it even today as its proper use remains a mystery to most people. We spontaneously drift into hypnosis many times during the day without even realising and we call it daydreaming. Hypnotherapist simply guides the client on purpose to help them achieve their goals. Even though the client may not “feel anything”, the suggestions given can have a very powerful & positive effect.
If one is considering to under-go hypnosis process, one has to understand it thoroughly knowing how it works and how it sometimes doesn’t work. It can provide immediate results if the process is well understood and effectively used.
What is Hypnotherapy?
It is recognised that there is no generally accepted definition of hypnosis, though considerable consensus exists at a descriptive level.
Martin T Orne, MD, PhD (1927 – 2000)
“Hypnosis is an altered state of consciousness in which the subconscious mind plays the dominant role.” The seat of our habits and the steering wheel of our behaviors lie within the subconscious mind. Everything we have ever thought, felt, tasted, smelled, seen, heard, read, or fantasized is recorded in our subconscious mind.
“Hypnosis” and “Hypnotherapy” are derived from Greek word “Hypnos” which means “Sleep.” Hypnotherapists use a hypnotic trance in order to make you relief and overcome addictions, pains, stress, or other related states of mind.
- Powerful tool for all areas of self improvement.
- The use of hypnosis to help you move towards health and wholeness.
- Used to help you reach goals when nothing else has helped.
- Let go of the thoughts of the day and to focus on the issues you came in for.
- Work together of the client and the hypnotherapist to overcome the issue at hand.
- Safe, healthy and natural.
- A state when you are most relaxed, or daydreaming, or open to receive suggestions.
- A suggestion, a proposal for your subconscious to accept a new belief therefore it needs to be positive.
How it Works?
Suggestion plays a very important part in hypnosis. Hypnosis bypasses the conscious minds, allowing direct communication with the unconscious ones. People can be hypnotized to different levels depending on the requirements of their well being.
Hypnotherapy can help you in the following areas of life:
- Self Improvement
- Reaching Goals and Succeeding
- Lack of Confidence
- Anger and Stress Management
- Health Management
- Getting into shape
- Habits Management
- Bedwetting in Children
- Teeth Grinding and nail biting
- Quit Smoking
- Drinking and other Addiction
- Asthma and Anxiety
- Compulsive eating
- Eating Disorders
- Weight Loss
- Skin Problems
- Fears and Phobias
- Psychological Issues
- Relationship Issues
- Physiological Issues
- General Confidence
- Sexual Issues
- Study Skills
- Concentration and Learning skills
- Past Life Regression
- Pain Management
- Many More
Hypnotherapists may use trance to explore the root of a problem, your physical and mental health and help you change deep-seated attitudes or feelings. At the end of the session, the hypnotherapist suggests that you return to normal consciousness.
The ability to be hypnotized is generally an indication that the client has stronger visualization skills. Once you are in trance, the hypnotherapists will address your sub-conscious mind. People with arthritis may be told they can turn the pain down like the volume of a radio, or smokers that they will no longer find smoking pleasurable.
How can hypnotherapy help me?
You have within you all the resources to solve your problems.
Hypnotherapy is a guide helping you to reach your goal by activating your inner resources. Unlike many therapies, hypnotherapy concentrates on the solution and not the problem.
Benefits of Hypnosis:
Did you know that just being in a hypnotized state has extraordinary mental and physical benefits? Yes, this is a fact.
- Help promote a deeper, healthier breathing pattern
- Relieves stress and tension
- Relaxes the body, slow down the functions, slow heart rate, lower respiration and blood pressure levels
- Muscles naturally relax
- Lower chemical imbalances
- Promote the human body’s natural healing abilities
- Correct hormone imbalances
- Relieves from mental fog, dizziness, irritability, chest pain, feeling numb, and many more
- Strengths our immune systems
- Relieve from pain and discomfort
- Deep restful sleep
- Feel good naturally
- Generates a sense of power and control
Hypnosis: What it is not / Myths!
- Sleep, unconsciousness, coma, surrender of mental powers and control, magic, an unnatural process
- Misconception is that only people of low intellect can be hypnotised. The fact is people of average and above intelligence make the best subjects.
- When you are in hypnosis you will not accept any suggestion that contravenes your normal belief system. Just as you can’t get stuck in a daydream or sleep, you can’t get stuck in hypnosis.
- Being hypnotized shows weakness and lack of control
- It’s dangerous
- Chance that you get stuck and unable to emerge from it.
- I can achieve anything suggested to me
- Result should be guaranteed
- You will not remember anything said or done while you were hypnotized
- One session cures the problem
What can happen is that you enjoy the wonderful feeling of relaxed body and mind that you don’t want to come out of hypnosis. ‘I’ve never felt so relaxed in my life’, is a comment most hypnotizers receive.
Now that you have an idea of what hypnosis is and isn’t, it’s time to consider how it can help you.