Your mind is a powerful force – it can make you believe things, crave things, do thing. Hypnosis can help you to choose and remain focused.
We all know weight loss is usually best achieved with diet and exercise. “Hypnosis can help by changing people’s mindsets and help create an honest relationship with yourself through diet, exercise and counselling.” Losing weight can be a long and challenging journey, not a short term obsession. If you’ve ever tried and failed to lose weight before, it’s not unusual for people to get into a cycle of dieting, overeating, feeling guilty and dieting again which is known as ‘yoyo dieting’ and makes weight-loss difficult to sustain but the answer for this could be Hypnosis especially if you have tried everything else.
Hypnotherapy is a state of inner absorption and concentration, like being in a trance. It’s the most natural way which creates emotional attachment to your goal. It enables a change in your long term habits and behaviours by creating leverage which in turn changes your relationship with food and enables your unconscious mind to work for you. As there is a lot of baggage in our subconscious minds, losing weight starts with a change in identity moving away from your old self to your new self image. It’s as much about how you think than about what you eat. Hypnotherapy begins from within and changes your thinking, for instance – you might eat a carrot and wish you were eating a carrot cake, but with hypnotherapy you can learn to enjoy the carrot and not give that cake a second thought.
How does hypnotherapy for weight-loss work?
Close your eyes. Imagine your food cravings floating away. Imagine a day of eating only what’s good for you. Imagine hypnosis actually helping you lose weight, because it actually does.
Many things have to be change. We have to want the benefits of that change, and we have to want them enough that we’re prepared to do whatever it takes to get them done and with full believe. It also involves overcoming the obstacles that our mind has set up for us.
Hypnosis is usually done with the help of a hypnotherapist targeting the unconscious mind with powerful suggestion techniques, using verbal repetition and mental images where you’re feeding your subconscious mind with positive suggestions bypassing the analytical and reasonable part of it. When you’re under hypnosis, your attention is highly focused, and you’re more responsive to suggestions, including behavior changes that can help you lose weight.
The idea of hypnosis is still met with scepticism due to misconceptions about what it is. It is useful to know that during hypnosis you will not:
- be out of control
- be asleep
- be told to do anything you don’t want to do
- have your memory erased
- be forced to reveal your deepest darkest secrets.
How it works?
- Hypnotherapist is essentially a coach who will guide you into deep relaxation.
- Once your body and mind are relaxed (much like a daydream), he will be able to access your unconscious mind.
- Soothing, carefully worded scripts can be used to explore a client’s reasons for overeating and suggest new ways of thinking through visualisations. You have the control to reject any suggestions you don’t feel happy.
- Slowly you will learn how to replace your negative habits and eating patterns with positive ones suggested by your hypnotherapist.
Most commonly asked questions in hypnotherapy consultations is – will hypnotherapy work for me? The answer is it’s hard to know until you try it yourself.
Hypnotherapy for weight-loss techniques
Everyone has different reasons for wanting to lose weight, some suggestions you might encounter include:
- Envisioning the body you want or the level of fitness/health you wish to achieve.
- Imagining how you will feel with your new look and health.
- Imagining yourself reaching that goal effortlessly.
- See how much you have improved from today.
- Imagining how energised and confident you will feel.
- Realising that the more you exercise, the more you will want to exercise and the easier it will become to do so.
- Whenever you get the urge to eat something unhealthy, or eat when you’re not hungry, imagine not reaching your goal and think about how that will make you feel.
These visualisations and many more are designed to empower you so that you can take control of your choices. Hopefully you will learn to enjoy the taste of healthy food and stop cravings. By tackling those deep feelings forming the foundations of your eating habits, you can learn to adopt a healthier lifestyle and enjoy doing so.
Benefits of Hypnotherapy:
- Allows you to stop dieting and encourage you to begin to take care of yourself in a more positive way by eating healthily and enjoying exercise.
- Help you to stop obsessing about food and enable you to let go of those feelings of failure and guilt.
- Enables you to combat food cravings.
- Teaches you to understand your relationship with food and find the triggers that make you overeat.
- Enables you to start to believe that you can do it that you too can become slim, confident and energised.
- Helps to adopt healthier eating habits/ portion control
- Helps to regain control of your weight/ lose weight
- Helps to control hunger and appetite
- Helps to overcome Boredom eating
- Helps to increase motivation
- Helps to regulate metabolism
- Helps you stop emotional eating
- Helps you curb those cravings
Hypnotherapy can allow you to have a change of attitude towards the food that you eat so that you no longer crave for or finish everything on your plate even if you are not hungry. This enables you to enjoy eating healthily and at the same time lose weight in a safe and natural way.
While many people succeed in losing weight in the short term, they often have trouble keeping it off and that’s where hypnotherapy can lead to success.